In 1904 several German families living in Monticello understood the importance of being in God’s Word. So they began to meet together for services as a new mission congregation. At this time they were being served by a traveling pastor.
Seven years later in 1911 they called their own pastor and formally organized as St. Peter’s Lutheran Church. Just two years later they were already able to build and begin worshipping in their first church building, which was located on the site where St. Peter’s still stands today.
The current church building was dedicated in 1962, with a new organ and an expanded gathering space added later.
While many things in our city and in our world have changed since then, St. Peter’s still exists for the same reason it was first founded: to be hearing God’s Word and to be sharing God’s Word with others. The congregation considers itself blessed to have been serving Monticello for over a hundred years.
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Monticello: Sharing Christ, the Key to Eternal Life!