In 1904, a group of families asked Rev. Theodore Engel of Montrose to start a mission congregation. Rev. Engel, Rev. H. Meyer and Rev. Hinnenthal served the families through 1911.
In the summer of 1911, Rev. Paul E. Horn was installed as the first resident pastor and missionary to the Monticello and Becker area.
On September 3, 1911, St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized and a constitution adopted.